by Angela Guess
As 2013 comes to a close, we wanted to share the articles, interviews, and scripts that our wonderful readers enjoyed the most this year. It’s been a record-breaking year over here at LA Screenwriter, and we plan to bring you all sorts of new and informative content in 2014. Bookmark this page for extra inspiration as you make your 2014 writing resolutions:
- Read 24 of the Best Screenplays from 2013 – This isn’t a full list of all the scripts from 2013 that we’ve posted (check the Script Index for more), but here you will find links to the scripts for Gravity, August: Osage County, Dallas Buyers Club, and many more.
- The Un-Rules of Screenwriting: Billy Mernit’s List – We kicked off our Un-Rules of Screenwriting series this year and received excellent advice from top writers like Deborah Moggach, Kirsten Smith, and Erik Bork. Billy’s list seems to be the favorite so far, but they’re all worth a good read.
- What It’s Really Like to Be a Screenwriter: An Interview with Joe Gazzam – You may not know his name, but Joe Gazzam has been working consistenetly as a screenwriter for the last ten years. This was our most popular interview this year.
- John Cleese on 5 Things to Make Yourself More Creative – This post was retweeted by Russell Brand, bringing it Lots of attention. Find out how to make yourself more creative with this insightful video.
- 24 Tips for Pitching Your Script – Excellent advice from Danny Manus & Pamela Ribon’s session at the Austin Film Festival.
- Breaking Bad Pilot Episode – We actually posted this script back in 2012, but it remains the most popular script on our website. If anyone has a link to the final episode script, please send it our way!
- An Interview with (500) Days Scribe Scott Neustadter – With his writing partner Michael Weber, Scott wrote (500) Days of Summer and one of my favorite films of this year, The Spectacular Now. His insights into working in Hollywood are highly valuable.
- This Season’s TV Pilot Scripts – It wasn’t a particularly good year for pilots, but if you’re curious what it took to get a pilot made this season, check these bad boys out.
- Martin Scorsese’s 85 Films You Need to Watch – This list is full of little-known old films that should be on any true cinephile’s list.
- Video: How Great Writers Prepare to Write – An excellent, short video interview with some of the most accomplished screenwriters of our time on their writing process.
- Structuring Your Script with the Dan Harmon Story Circle – A great tool for figuring out the structure of your story.
- Women in Film: We’ve Got a Long Way to Go – This startling infographic from the New York Film Academy sheds light on how women are portrayed in film and how few women are working behind the scenes on the biggest films.
- Politics, Love, & Screenwriting: A Conversation with Steve Faber – Steve wrote Wedding Crashers and We’re the Millers, he has a column in the Huffington Post, and he’s one of the most fascinating people I’ve ever met.
- 101 Greatest Screenplays Ever Written – We posted this way back in 2011, but it remains one of our most-read posts. See what makes he greats great with links to the ten best scripts ever written.
- Our Script Index – After the LA Screenwriter home page, this is the most visited page on our site. We know you’ve come for the scripts, which is why we try to keep our database as current and useful (no transcripts!) as possible.